Saturday, November 6, 2010

Days 6 and 7

Did you know that nostalgia was once considered to be a potentially fatal illness?
It's true. In the late 1680's the term was coined. It was also referred to as "Swiss homesickness" after Swedish mercenaries traveling extensively and exhibiting symptoms of acute discomfort and general malaise with no real cause.

I don't think there is an actual cure per se... just seems to be one of those things that lessens with time. I am aware of how many things trigger nostalgia right now and I am thankful that I have the perspective already to laugh about it. Certain streets, crossword clues, songs, foods, outfits, hair styles, phrases, tv shows, mental illnesses, facial expressions, numbers, jewelry, shower rituals, stores...all sorts of stuff. And I feel a little bit absurd falling down my memory's rabbit hole time and time again.

You just never know when you do something initially the significance it may hold one day.

2 comments:

  1. The older you get, the more nostalgic you will become. Don't look for a cure, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete