Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 2

When you can't speak you can't argue with your landlords about the $113.00 they want you to pay them for a replacement fire alarm after the archaic one (that didn't even require a battery as it was wired into the now defunct, I'm sure, fire alarm system in the building) broke in the middle of the night one December evening. Hello, it's August. Thanks for getting on that right away, in case our equally ancient oven fucked up. While I was swearing into the moldy ceiling debating which diode to snap the landlord poked her helpful ass into the apartment to say, "We will fix it for you at your own expense. $50.00"

...I'm sorry, what planet does she live on where HST is $63.00?!

My inability to deal with this is potentially crippling to a bank account that contains the colour red more than a deck of fucking cards. More than a Kill Bill movie. More than the collective back pockets at a fisting convention.

And on I go...

Sarah, did we see a man die today? A more defeatist person than I might then suggest that Death is following me. From the folded pulp of feathers and innards that was once a pigeon smeared on the street that now resembles more closely my massacred attempt at over medium eggs in the morning, to the man on Dundas today, sprawled on the ground with a leaden heaviness that exceeded even his obesity. A team of paramedics frantically tried to revive him, I've never seen anything like it and we drove by without any closure. I hope he's OK.

Do you ever look around at the world and think that the random synchronicity of the events therein relate to your life in an overly positive or negative manner? On a superficial level, you drive a Mustang and all of a sudden you see Mustangs EVERYWHERE. Similarly, you grapple consciously with fears of say, vomit and death, and within a week you are put directly in front of each fear on at least two occasions. What, you think life it trying to tell you something? We should all be so lucky. It probably isn't, and even if it was, you couldn't say anything back.

IMPORTANT- I'm asking anyone with a higher than normal level of boredom or curiosity to participate in one full (or half) day of not speaking, after which I will interview them on their experiences, amusements, hardships and annoyances and post it here.

1 comment:

  1. I am loving this existential journey. Count me in for a guest entry!

    ReplyDelete