Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Days 1 thru 3

I am trying to avoid needing surgery for throat polyps. The only way to do that is to not speak for possibly up to 3 months.

What are polyps?

A.K.A "nodes" throat polyps are common among untrained singers. They occur when the muscles of the throat tighten too much and become too strained to vibrate properly. This makes the muscles develop callouses which limit vocal use. They are benign growths that can and do go away on their own.

If given the choice to not speak for some weeks or not sing for a lifetime, it's no contest in favor of the former.

Days 1 through 3 have involved developing te beginnings of some systems to make life easier. Some signs for things like "coffee" and "hungry" are being established as well as a handful of pre written notes saying things like "how are you" and "thank you".

A successful shorthand remains to be seen. By the time I've written a phrase, the conversation has turned twice. It's amazing how fast people can communicate and how used to discarding no longer relevant thoughts I'm becoming.

My bosses are all kind of irate.
My friends are incredulous, teasing, kind or accommodating.
I am isolated from both my parents who don't text.

People tend to over gesticulate now, too. Like they have sympathy muteness.

$$$ spent on notebooks

1 comment: